Around the Parish
Healing Our Church: With the diocese support and encouragement, we have been offered an opportunity to pray, reflect, and envision a path forward as a Roman Catholic family of faith. Healing Our Church is a six-week program designed by RENEW international, a Catholic nonprofit organization. This small-group resource faces the issue of sexual abuse in the Church head-on and will help us to not only begin a healing process, but also address the factors contributing to the crisis. We can be witnesses to the resurrection of Jesus, not by collapsing under the weight of this in the Church, but by acknowledging it, praying and working to eradicate it, and continuing together in the Church’s mission of reconciliation, charity, and justice.
This program is open to all adults and will be held on October 7, 14, 21 and November 4, 11, and 18. A registration form can be found on our website or you can call the parish office. Prayerfully consider joining a small group either here or at any of the multiple churches in our diocese hosting. If you are not able to be in a small group, please continue to offer prayers for the victims and survivors of abuse. Register by emailing your name, email address, and phone number to email@example.com OR complete and return this FORM. Registration is open until Friday, September 27.
- Little Rock Scripture Study: Please join us Wednesday, 6:30-8pm, to examine the Letter to the Hebrews from Little Rock Scripture study! We will meet in the Rectory Fireside Room beginning Oct. 2. The study guide as well as the commentary is $15. Please use our Letter to the Hebrews Registration Form to sign up for the study.
- Adult Faith Formation: Please join others in delving deeply into the Gospel of Matthew. This study is from the Ignatius Bible Study and meets Thursdays, 7-8:30pm in the Rectory Conference Room, starting Oct. 3. The study, commentary, notes, and study questions booklet is $10. Please register using our Gospel of Matthew Registration.
Around the Diocese
Please welcome Sr. Angela de Fatima Coelho to the Grand Rapids Diocese Saturday, Oct. 5, at the Cathedral of St. Andrew, Grand Rapids. 8:30 am Rosary, led by Kevin Matthews, 9 am Mass (Bishop Walkowiak, presiding and preaching), 10-11am Presentation by Sister Angela. Light refreshments will be served following Mass. Please RSVP by Friday, Oct. 4 to Lisa at St. Anthony of Padua Parish (firstname.lastname@example.org or 616-453-8229, extension 100).
Join us on Oct. 21, 7pm for a showing of Screenagers The Next Chapter: Uncovering Skills for Stress Resilience, a movie about helping young people thrive in our screen- and stress-filled world. An expert panel will take your questions after the movie. The film is intended for adults and youth starting from age 10 and up. The movie will be shown at Celebration Cinema North. Tickets are $7 and must be purchased in advance. To purchase tickets, please visit https://www.eventcombo.com/e/screenagers-next-chapter-presented-by-catholic-schools—-di-35898.
- Theology of the Body and Everyday LIfe: Come hear Catholic writer and speaker, Emily Stimpson Chapman, author of “These Beautiful Bones,” as she shares how to make the teachings of St. John Paul II part of our everyday lives Friday, Nov. 15, 7pm, Immaculate Heart of Mary Church (1535 Plymouth Ave. SE, Grand Rapids).
- Catholic Information Center events: Come celebrate, live, and pray the Catholic Faith with events at the Catholic Information Center. Check out the events here. If you have any questions/comments, please contact Eulene Freeland at eulene@cathedralofsaintandrew.
- Catholic Charities Young Professionals: CCYP is open to all West Michigan young professionals between the ages of 21 and 40. CCYP’s mission is to involve young professionals with Catholic Charities West Michigan. The group provides opportunities to network, volunteer, attend events, raise money, and plan service projects. For more information, contact Bethany Stowe (email@example.com), check us out on Facebook (@CCWMYoungProfessionals), follow us on Instagram (ccypwestmi) or join our LinkedIn group (Catholic Charities Young Professionals- West Michigan).
For an extensive list of Diocesan opportunities, please visit the Diocese of Grand Rapids website.