Sacrament of Infant Baptism
Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. ~Acts 2:38
Baptism – “Incorporated into Christ’s Body, Sent on Christ’s Mission” (USCCB)
The sacraments celebrated by the Church are signs of grace that make a deeper reality present to us. One reality we encounter through the sacraments is Christ’s presence in the Church community, his body. This recognition of Christ’s presence in the community should lead to a stronger awareness of being sent on mission to engage in love-inspired action in the world.
As Pope Benedict XVI notes in Deus Caritas Est, the celebration of the sacraments and the ministry of love are “inseparable.” Love in action, he says, is “an indispensible expression” of the Church’s being.
- Baptism makes us “members of one another”
- Baptism reveals the equality and dignity of each member of the community
- Baptism requires us to reject sin and reassess our values, decisions and lifestyles
- In Baptism, we profess our commitment to the Church’s beliefs, values and vision
- Baptism invites us to a vocation of holiness and the practice of charity
- Baptism incorporates us into the life, death and resurrection of Christ and the ongoing work of the Holy Spirit in the world
- Baptism leads us to imitate Christ’s example
- Baptism makes us disciples to the world
- Baptism calls us to live in the world, seeking the Kingdom in our daily lives
- The baptized are to live as lights in the darkness
Baptisms at St. Thomas the Apostle
Parents are required to attend class for the first two children, but not if they have three or more children. The Baptism Class is held the first Thursday of every month, 7:00 p.m. in the Fireside Room of the Rectory. Pre-registration for class is required; please call the Parish Receptionists at 459-4662 to schedule your class. Sponsors may attend, but it is not required. Classes are taught by Father Jim, Deacon Dennis or Deacon Jim. Parents fill out the Baptism Registration Form at the Baptism Class or through the Parish Receptionists, as well as select the date of Baptism for their child.
Sacrament of Baptism:
Baptisms are held on the second Sunday of the month, following the 11:00 Mass. The first four baptisms are scheduled for 12:15 p.m.; the second four are scheduled beginning at 1:00 p.m. and any more than eight are scheduled for the next month. Baptisms during Mass can only be scheduled for the 9:00 AM Mass. Arrangements for special times or dates are made directly with Fr. Jim or one of the Deacons and should only be scheduled under unique circumstances. Information for the Baptism is gathered at the Baptism Class (see above paragraph). Baptisms being held by families, who are not registered parishioners, must be approved by Fr. Jim and be accompanied by a letter from their pastor stating they are baptized members in good standing and giving Fr. Jim or the Deacon’s delegation privileges.
The parents of the child select the sponsors. More than one sponsor (male and female) is allowed. At least one of the sponsors must be Baptized and Confirmed in the Catholic Church and a practicing Catholic. If the sponsor(s) selected lives out of state, a proxy godparent is allowed. Both names will be typed on the baptism certificate and in the official record book.
Baptism Preparation Class Dates and Baptism Sacrament Dates
Baptism Preparation Classes > Baptism Dates
January 3, 2013 > January 13, 2013
February 7, 2013 > February 10, 2013
March 7, 2013 > No Baptisms in Lent/Easter March 31*
April 4, 2013 > April 14, 2013
May 2, 2013 > May 12, 2013
June 6, 2013 > June 9, 2013
July 11, 2013 > July 14, 2013
August 1, 2013 > August 11, 2013
September 5, 2013 > September 8, 2012
October 3, 2013 > October 13, 2013
November 7, 2013 > November 10, 2013
December 5, 2013 > December 8, 2013
January 2, 2014 January 12, 2014
February 6, 2014 > February 9, 2014
March 6, 2014 > March 2 (Lent begins March 5)
April 3, 2014 > No Baptisms in Lent/Easter April 20*
May 1, 2014 > May 11, 2014
June 5, 2014 > June 8, 2014
July 3, 2014 > July 13, 2014
August 7, 2014 > August10, 2014
September 4, 2014 > September 14, 2014
October 2, 2014 > October 12, 2014
November 6, 2014 > November 9, 2014
December 4, 2014 > December 14, 2014
*Check with Margo Dean, Office Manager, about special Baptism date on or after Easter
Baptisms are held on the second Sunday of the Month following the 11:00 Mass (Note: we do not advertise other dates, but if a family needs special consideration, they must talk to the priest or deacon scheduled to officiate at baptisms the month they are considering)
Parents are not required to attended the Baptism Preparation Class if they have three or more children.
There is no fee for baptisms.
Saint Thomas the Apostle Policy of Baptism of Non-Parishioners
Here at Saint Thomas the Apostle Parish, all those who have some significant reason to request baptism shall be allowed to present a child for baptism at the regularly schedule baptism times and in accordance with all the other practices of the parish, if they present the following:
- Reason for desiring the baptism at Saint Thomas (e.g. family ties, etc.)
- Signed notification of having received some formal baptismal preparation at a Catholic Parish, campus chapel, base chapel, or the like.
- Written permission from the pastor or associate pastor of the parent(s) of the child to celebrate the sacrament in his name.
- Written statement from the pastor or associate pastor of the parents of the child that the parent(s) is/are a Catholic in good standing in the church and parish, is practicing and registered in that parish.